Mie Ayam, a lesser known dish, in Indonesian cuisine but simply unmissable.
- 5ml (1 tsp) vegetable oil
- 30ml (2 tbsp) butter
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 6 garlic coves, peeled and crushed
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 whole chicken, raw
- 2l (2pt) water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2.5cm (1in) ginger, peeled and grated
- 45ml (3 tbsp) sesame oil
- 400g (1lb) mushrooms
- 30ml (2 tbsp) oyster sauce
- 60ml (4 tbsp) kecap manis
- 250g (8oz) egg noodles
- broccoli, cooked
- spring onions, for garnish
- coriander leaves, for garnish
- Sweat the onion, garlic, carrots and celery in the oil and butter in a large saucepan until softened.
- Add the chicken then top with the water.
- Bring to a simmer and keep cooking for at least 1 hour or until the chicken is cooked.
- Remove the chicken and let it cool down. Discard the chicken skin, spread the meat and set aside.
- Strain the stock and return to the saucepan.
- Heat the sesame oil in a wok or non-stick pan and saute the onion, garlic and ginger until softened.
- Add the mushrooms and stir for 5 minutes until browned.
- Lastly, add the cooked chicken to the mix and add the oyster sauce and kecap manis.
- Cook for 3 minutes and stir thoroughly.
- While the stir-fry is cooking boil the noodles according to package instructions.
- After draining add some sesame oil and mix to lubricate the noodles.
- Divide the noodles into 4 bowls, top with the chicken and mushroom mixture, add the greens, add the chicken stock and garnish with spring onions and coriander leaves.
Shop bought chicken stock can be used to save time. Two cooked chicken breasts are enough to serve 4 people in this recipe. You can serve the stock/broth with the noodles or separately in smaller bowl or cup with the greens and spring onions – your choice.
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Indonesian
- Serving Size: 319.4g
- Calories: 387
- Sugar: 17.4 g
- Sodium: 1058 mg
- Fat: 13.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 44.4 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 24.2 g
- Cholesterol: 77 mg