November is Vegan Month and Suganya from Tasty Palettes is looking for vegan recipes. Vegans don't eat any animal products at all; that means no eggs, no milk, no cheese, nada. As you can see lots of people have stepped up to the challenge to go vegan for a day, week or a whole month. As much as I love animals, I think I will be cheering from the sidelines on this one. When I eat vegetarian for a few days at a time, I get this strange floating sensation when walking, which means after a month I'll probably be on my way to Mars. Who's going to post you all these yummy recipes then? Eating meat roots me firmly to the ground and I like it here on planet Earth.
On a more serious note, this salad is a superb starter if you are planning a three course meal. The portions are just enough to whet your appetite and surprisingly refreshing. In the photos I used rocket, red cos lettuce and mizuna. Don't be afraid to experiment with different types of leaves; it can definitely spruce up a salad.
French Bean, Tomato and Pistachio Salad
- Total Time: 9 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 200g (7oz) fine French beans, trimmed
- 100g salad leaves, washed
- 200g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 80g (3 oz) pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
- 60ml (4 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
- 60 ml (4 tbsp) balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil, add the beans and cook for 3-4 minutes until just tender but still crisp. Drain and refresh undercold water, then drain again and set aside.
- For the dressing, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and a little seasoning.
- Tip the salad leaves into a bowl, then add the beans and tomatoes. Drizzle with the balsamic dressing, then scatter the pistachios over the salad and serve.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 minutes
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 224
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 100 mg
- Fat: 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.7 g
- Fiber: 2.7 g
- Protein: 4.5 g
Very pretty. Michelle, thank you for participating in the event, even if it means going half-way to Mars 😉
Thanks, Suganya. It was great fun participating. 🙂
I used this starter in the three course meal I planned for my husband's birthday, absolutely fantastic thank you
Lovely to hear Kim, thank you! Which main and dessert did you prepare? And please wish your husband a happy belated birthday from me!