This cauliflower and broccoli soup is wonderfully warming and easy to make on a cold day. Serve with fresh buttered bread.
- 15ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 600g (2) broccoli heads, segmented
- 1kg (2) cauliflower heads, segmented
- 1.5 litre (6 cups) vegetable stock
- 250ml (1 cup) double cream
- 166g (2 cups) cheddar cheese, grated
- 25g (4 tbsp) slivered almonds, toasted
- chives, for decoration
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, then gently fry the onion for 5 minutes, or until softened and translucent.
- Add the garlic and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, cauliflower and stock, then bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to a steady simmer and cook uncovered for about 15 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked and fork tender.
- Transfer the contents to a food processor and blitz until desired consistency. (I prefer smooth!)
- Tip the soup back into the saucepan, then add the cream and cheese.
- Bring it back to heat and let the soup bubble for 2 minutes. Stir to ensure the cheese has completely melted.
- Serve immediately, topped with almonds and chives, with some crusty bread on the side. Enjoy!
- Stick to fresh broccoli and cauliflower if you can. Frozen comes in second place.
- Don’t throw the broccoli and cauliflower stalks away! The stalks cook and blend well in this soup.
- If you’re vegan, you can replace the cream and cheese with vegan alternatives.
- If you’re not vegan or vegetarian, you can sprinkle the soup with crispy bacon.
- Another cheese that pairs very well with cauliflower and broccoli is parmesan cheese. Feel free to experiment!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: broccoli and cauliflower soup, vegetarian soup recipe, broccoli and cauliflower recipe, healthy vegetable soup