The versatility of the humble butternut squash is amazing. Start out simple and later add your own original twists.
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 30g (1 oz) butter
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 900g (2 lbs) butternut, peeled and sliced
- 900ml (1½ pints) Knorr vegetable or chicken stock
- 30g (1 oz) chives, washed and roughly chopped
- Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan, add the onion and garlic and gently sauté.
- When the onion has softened after about 5 minutes, add the butternut and stock and stir well. Bring to the boil. Simmer for 25 minutes or until the butternut is soft.
- Blend the soup with a hand-held blender or in a food processor.
- Season to taste, serve in four bowls and sprinkle with the herbs.
- Your favourite type of bread, buttered, will go down a storm.
- If you’re vegan, omit the butter and add more oil to the recipe instead.
- If you’re on a low-fat diet, leave out the oil and butter and use low-fat cooking spray.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: South African
- Serving Size: 248.1g
- Calories: 200
- Sodium: 52 mg
- Fat: 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 29.7 g
- Fiber: 3.3 g
- Protein: 2.5 g
- Cholesterol: 16 mg
Keywords: simple butternut squash soup, butternut soup recipe