Learn how to make an American cult classic, Animal-Style Fries. Famously from In-N-Out, this copycat recipe is an absolute favourite.
- 900g (2lbs) frozen french fries
- 14g (1 tbsp) butter
- 5ml (1 tsp) vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 12g (1 tbsp) brown sugar
- 3g (½ tsp) salt
- 125ml (½ cup) mayonnaise
- 45ml (3 tbsp) ketchup
- 30ml (2 tbsp) sweet pickle relish
- 6g (1½ tsp) sugar
- 7.5ml (1½ tsp) white vinegar
- 4 slices American cheese
- French Fries: Cook the fries according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Caramelized Onions: Meanwhile, melt the butter and add the oil to a large frying pan and cook the onions over a medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Lower the heat slightly and add the sugar and salt. Stir every now and then.
- Continue to cook the onions until they are caramelized. In total, this should take 15-20 minutes.
- In-N-Out Sauce: While the onions are cooking, make the sauce. Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Assembling the dish: Once the fries are cooked, remove from the oven and immediately top with cheese, arranged in a single layer.
- Top the cheese with the caramelized onions, distributing them evenly.
- Lastly, top with as much or little sauce as you like.
- Serve with burgers. Dig in and enjoy!
- The quantities and ratios used are completely up to you. You might decide to use only half the amount of onion and sauce, which means you can save these leftovers for another batch of Animal Fries the next day!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: animal-style fries, in-and-out fries, animal fries recipe, copycat in-n-out recipe, in-and-out fries, American fries recipe