Great for a Sunday lunch or a festive meal. Once you’ve tried Slow Roasted Turkey you won’t want to have it another way.
- 20lbs (9kg) turkey, defrosted and giblets removed
- 1 orange, halved
- 1 onion, halved
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- Remove the turkey from the fridge at least 30 minutes before roasting.
- Preheat your oven to 160°C/ 140°C fan / 325°F / gas mark 3.
- Place your turkey in a large roasting tin then stuff with the onion halves, orange halves and a sprig of rosemary.
- Cover with tin foil and place in the oven for 4.5 hours. Baste the turkey every hour.
- Turn up the temperature to 220°C / 200°C fan / 425°F / gas mark 7 and cook for another 30 minutes in order to brown the skin. Keep an eye on it to make sure you don’t overdo it. Use your thermometer to check the temperature, you are looking for an internal temperature of around 75°C / 165°F.
- Remove the turkey from the oven and transfer it to a draining board. Cover and allow it to rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Carve and serve with the sides of your choice. Enjoy!
- For best results, brine your turkey for 24 hours. See my brining recipes.
- You can stuff the turkey with whatever flavors you like but I just prefer this combo for a wintery flavor.
- You can roast slower for longer 160°C/325°F cooking is 15-17 minutes a pound unstuffed
- 17-20 minutes filled with stuffing.
- 150°C/300°F takes roughly 17-20 minutes per pound 20-23 minutes if stuffed.
- 135°C/275°F takes around 20-23 minutes per pound 22-25 minutes if stuffed.
- These are just guidelines. Please use a thermometer and make sure the internal temperature has reached 75°C/165°F.
- You can use the giblets in the gravy and we have a good recipe for that here.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: Slow Roasted Turkey, Roast Turkey, slow cook turkey in oven, Christmas Dinner Ideas, Thanksgiving Ideas, Sunday Lunch Ideas