We all know how to make a simple BLT Sandwich. Slices of bread, a few rashers of bacon, some salad leaves and we’re good to go. However, if you want to make it a bit more special then I urge you to try Ed Baines’ version from his latest book, The Best of British.
One new technique that I’ve learnt from this recipe is to grill the bacon on top of the bread under the grill. The thought never even occurred to me but it makes sense. As the bacon fat slowly trickles into the bread there is no need to butter the slices afterwards and as an added bonus the bread is toasted. The mustard also gives the sarnie a tasty touch. With a little more effort it makes one super rewarding meal.
- 1 tomato, halved and thinly sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- a handful of salad leaves
- 15ml (1 tbsp) mayonnaise
- juice of ¼ lemon
- 2 rashers of bacon
- 2 slices of bread
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) wholegrain mustard
- Put the tomato into a bowl, add a good pinch of salt and a tablespoon of olive oil.In a separate bowl, mix the salad leaves with the mayonnaise, lemon juice and a good pinch of black pepper.
- Allow both the tomato and the salad leaves to sit while you prepare the bacon and bread – it’s vital that you do this first to allow the tomato to stand in the salt and the lettuce to wilt a little with the mayonnaise.
- Put the rashers of bacon on top of each slice of bread. Whack them under the grill on a medium heat – cooking the bacon slowly means that the bacon juices run out on to the bread. It also makes the bacon very crisp.
- When the bread is toasted, remove it from the grill and put to one side. Turn the bacon and cook for a further 3 to 4 minutes.
- Place the cooked bacon rashers onto a slice of toasted bread. Cover with a handful of the lettuce and scoop over the tomatoes with all the juices.
- Smear the mustard over the other piece of bread. Place on top of the sandwich, squeeze down, cut in half and enjoy.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 465
- Sugar: 3.6 g
- Sodium: 667 mg
- Fat: 31 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 31.2 g
- Fiber: 6.1 g
- Protein: 16.5 g
- Cholesterol: 20 mg