Do you have a glut of damsons? This is the perfect damson recipe for you! Damson jam is quick and easy to make and makes the perfect gift for a foodie.
- 1kg (2.2lbs) damsons
- 1.25kg (6 cups) jam sugar
- 250ml (1 cup) water
- First, stone the damsons with a cherry pitter.
- Rinse them well under a tap and drain.
- Place the damsons, jam sugar and water in a large saucepan or preserving pan.
- Slowly heat the contents, while stirring, letting the sugar slowly dissolve in the water and fruit juices.
- Bring to a rolling boil and maintain it for 15 minutes. During this period you’ll need to keep stirring the sauce to prevent it sticking in places and subsequently burning.
- Remove from the heat and test the jam. E.g. Take a small dollop of jam onto a cold saucer and cool.
- Push your finger from one side into the jam. If the skin has formed wrinkles, the setting point has been reached. If it hasn’t wrinkled, boil for another 2 minutes and test again. Repeat this process until the desired wrinkles form.
- Pour the jam in sterilised jars and seal with a clean lid. This recipe yields 5 x 370ml (1lb) jam jars and makes excellent foodie gifts!
- Category: Jam
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: damson jam, damson recipe, how to make jam, damson plum recipe, damson jam making, autumn harvest recipe