The ONLY recipe you will ever need for Leek & Potato Soup. Special diets friendly and lots of variations included.
- 50g (1¾ oz) butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 leeks, white part only, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 200g (7 oz) potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 750ml (26fl oz/3 cups) chicken stock
- 220ml (7¾ fl oz) double [heavy] cream
- 30ml (2 tbsp) chives, roughly chopped
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan and add the onion, leek, celery and garlic.
- Let the vegetables sweat over a low heat until they are softened but not browned. This will take about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add the potato and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer, covered for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool a little before puréeing in a blender or food processor. Return to the clean saucepan. (If you have a hand blender there is no need to wait. You can blend the soup immediately.)
- Bring the soup gently back to the boil and stir in the cream.
- Season with salt and pepper and reheat without boiling.
- Serve hot or well chilled, garnished with chives.
- Your favourite type of bread, buttered, will go down a storm.
- For 1 Weightwatchers Propoint per serving: Substitute the butter with non-fat oil spray. Omit the cream and use a total of 1 litre (4 cups) of stock instead.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: French
- Serving Size: 224.8
- Calories: 434
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 281 mg
- Fat: 36.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 24.4 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 3.1 g
- Cholesterol: 27 mg