- 400g (1 lb) pork sausages or sausage meat
- 400g (1 lb) ready-made puff pastry
- 70g (2½ oz) cooked chestnuts, chopped
- 30g (1 oz) dried cranberries, finely chopped
- 15ml (1 tbsp) fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 egg, whisked
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan 160°C/350°F/gas 4).
- With a sharp knife, slit the skins of the sausages and pop the meat out. (If you bought sausage meat you don’t need to do this.) Put the meat in a large bowl and mix in the chestnut, cranberries and thyme.
- On a floured work surface, roll the pastry out into a big rectangle as thick as a pound coin and cut it lengthways into two long, even rectangles.
- Roll the mixture into sausage shapes with your hands and lay along the centre of each rectangle. Tightly roll the pastry around the sausage meat and brush the ends with the beaten egg to secure.
- Use a sharp knife to cut each roll into the sizes you want and space them out on a baking tray.
- Brush more egg all over the pastry. Place in the oven and cook for 25-35 minutes until the pastry is puffed and crisp and the meat has cooked through.
- For the best result use a heavy metal baking tray. It will ensure that the puff pastry at the bottom gets cooked and crisps properly.
- Instead of thyme you can use fresh sage.
- These sausage rolls can be made up in advance (up to step 5) and frozen. To cook from frozen, simply add 10 minutes to cooking time mentioned.
- The chestnuts I used were roasted, peeled and vacuum packed and bought as convenience food, manufactured by Merchant Gourmet.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 177
- Sugar: 6.4 g
- Sodium: 164 mg
- Fat: 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.7 g
- Protein: 5.7 g
- Cholesterol: 28 mg