Make this amazing savoury french toast for brunch, breakfast, lunch, dinner, whatever! It is so easy and simple, you’ll want to make it every day. Enjoy!
- 45ml (3 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 45ml (3 tbsp) butter
- 4 onions, peeled and sliced
- 300g (10oz) mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
- 150ml (5fl oz) white wine
- 150ml (5fl oz) crème fraîche
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 eggs
- 125ml (½ cup) milk
- 15ml (1 tbsp) Dijon mustard
- 4 slices of thick white bread
- 5ml (1 tsp) icing sugar
- 4 spring onions, washed and chopped
- 12 cherry tomatoes, washed
- Heat 15ml (1 tbsp) oil and 15ml (1 tbsp) butter in a frying pan.
- Fry the onions gently for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked.
- Add the wine, turn up the heat and let the liquid sizzle down to half its quantity.
- Stir in the crème fraîche and season to taste.
- Lower the heat to minimum in order to keep it warm while you fry the bread.
- Whisk the eggs with the milk and mustard in a large bowl. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Soaking the bread slices in the milk mixture.
- Heat the remaining butter and oil [30ml (2 tbsp), respectively] in a large frying pan.
- When the butter-oil mixture starts to sizzle, arrange the soaked bread slices in the pan and fry them on both sides for about 3 minutes each, or until golden brown.
- Remove the French toast from the heat and sprinkle with a light dusting of icing sugar on both sides.
- Place each piece of French toast on a plate and divide the mushroom sauce evenly.
- Sprinkle spring onions on top and serve with cherry tomatoes. Enjoy!
- Golden caster sugar would be ideal but any caster sugar will do.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Pan Fry
- Cuisine: French