Making vegetarian Cornish pasties is a fun and easy task. Even a non-baker can prepare this recipe. Traditionally, Cornish pasties are made with a filling of beef, potatoes, onions and swede. These vegetarian Cornish pasties have a filling made with lentils, butternut, garlic, spinach, white wine vinegar and more.
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 1 small butternut, peeled and cut into 1cm (½ in) cubes
- 30ml (2 tbsp) white wine vinegar
- 250ml (1 cup) vegetable stock
- 30ml (2 tbsp) tomato puree
- 15ml (1 tbsp) brown sugar
- 100g (3 oz) cooked lentils
- 100g (3 oz) spinach, washed
- 1 egg, whisked
- 900g (2lbs) shortcrust pastry
- Fry the onion and garlic gently with the oil, in a large saucepan, until softened.
- Add the butternut, vinegar to the pan and increase the heat until the vinegar sizzles away.
- Lower the heat, add the stock, tomato puree and sugar then give it a stir. Let the mixture gently bubble at a low heat until the butternut is cooked. Add a splash of water if needed if it gets too dry.
- When the butternut is cooked, add the lentils and spinach and stir until the greens have wilted. Remove the pan from the heat and let it cool.
- Preheat the oven 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface. Using a saucer, cut out 6 shapes.
- Divide the filling evenly between the rounds, leaving a margin around the edges.
- Brush the pastry all the way round the edge with beaten egg, carefully draw up both sides so that they meet at the top, then pinch them together to seal. Lift onto a non-stick baking tray and brush with the remaining egg to glaze.
- Bake the pasties in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- There may be filling leftover, which makes a great lunch served with rice.
- For each pasty, 150g (5oz) of shortcrust is needed.
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: British
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 525
- Sugar: 2.8 g
- Sodium: 35 mg
- Fat: 35.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 46.5 g
- Fiber: 2.1 g
- Protein: 7.7 g
- Cholesterol: 27 mg