- 500g (1lb) brown basmati and wild rice
- 1.5ℓ (6 cups) vegetable stock
- 300g (10oz) fine green beans, cut into 2.5cm (1in) pieces
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 5ml (1 tsp) mixed spice
- 100g (3oz) pecan halves
- 100g (3oz) cashews, roasted and salted
- 100g (3oz) dried cranberries
- 1 pomegranate, seeds only
- 60ml (4 tbsp) flat leaf parsley, washed and chopped
- Boil the rice for 25 minutes in the stock. Drain and set aside.
- Boil the beans in salted water for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large casserole dish, fry the onions in the oil until cooked and softened.
- Add the beans, rice and mixed spice to the onions and stir well.
- (At this point you can freeze the rice mixture in a large Pyrex container and freeze for later use. After thawing the dish can simply be placed in the oven and reheated.)
- Stir in the pecans, cashews and cranberries.
- Serve with pomegranate seeds and parsley sprinkled on top.
- This dish is vegan-friendly but serves as a great side dish as well.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: International
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 387
- Sugar: 8.9 g
- Sodium: 167 mg
- Fat: 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 51.6 g
- Fiber: 5.9 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 1 mg