Camembert en croute is a whole wheel of camembert wrapped in puff pastry and sprinkled with thyme. It is best enjoyed with a tangy and fresh side salad and a cranberry or lingonberry jam. Check out this post to find out more information on the different types of Camemberts and other cheeses you can use as substitutes.
- 320g (¾ lb) puff pastry sheet
- 250g (½ lb) whole camembert wheel
- 1 egg, whisked
- 180g (6oz) watercress salad, washed
- 18 cherry tomatoes, washed
- 90ml (6 tbsp) cranberry jelly
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/390°F/gas mark.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a floured surface.
- Place the camembert wheel in the center of the puff pastry then sprinkle the cheese top with thyme.
- Fold the pastry up to cover the cheese. Trim the excess pastry, which can be used to decorate the pastry.
- Brush the pastry with the egg.
- Place the cheese on a baking tray and put it in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the pastry is crisp and browned.
- Wait for the cheese to cool down for about 5-10 minutes before cutting and serving with watercress salad.
- In the unfortunate event that there is a spillage of oozing cheese, best use a baking tray with edges.
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: French
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 521
- Sugar: 10.6 g
- Sodium: 558 mg
- Fat: 33.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 12.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 39.6 g
- Fiber: 5.5 g
- Protein: 17.7 g
- Cholesterol: 61 mg