Let’s face it. Life, as we know it, is complicated.
Gone are the days when a man could sit on his boat all day, bring his wife some fish and she’ll actually be happy. Now he has to run errands, change the baby’s nappy and even do some cooking.
Gone are the days when a woman could bumble around in the kitchen, knit or have tea parties. Now she has to pay the bills, drive the kids to school and other activities, do accounting and even have a job.
Gone are the days when kids were more than happy to play in the park. Now it’s all about what’s the latest craze at school thanks to mass media advertising.
With every product purchased comes a manual for you to study. How many are lying around your house? Even cooking has become complicated. Molecular gastronomy, anyone?
Maybe I sound greatly sexist referring to how life was hundreds of years ago but come on, you have to acknowledge life was simpler back then. Those bygone days sometimes appeal to me until I remind myself I’m a tech junkie!
Cooking and eating are life’s simple pleasures, so keep them that way! Celebrate with a plateful of mussels – ah, now that’s better.
Fancy mussels? Then you’ll enjoy this classic French dish.
- 1kg (2 lbs) mussels, washed and scrubbed with “beards” removed
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 45ml (3 tbsp) dry white wine
- 1 small onion, shredded
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 celery stalk, shredded
- 30ml (2 tbsp) crème fraîche
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh parsley, ripped
- 10ml (1 tbsp) butter
- Wash and scrub the mussels, remove “beards” and thorw away any that are open.
- Place the olive oil in a large pan – heat gently and add mussels.
- Season with salt and pepper, stir mussels with wooden spoon.
- Add the shredded vegetables and crushed garlic.
- Add white wine, stir and cover pan.
- Simmer until the mussels open, add crème fraîche, boil once.
- Add the butter and ripped parsley then serve.
- Serve with chunks of crusty bread on the side.
- Serving Size: 651.5g
- Calories: 650
- Sugar: 3.9 g
- Sodium: 1519 mg
- Fat: 29.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 27.3 g
- Fiber: 2.2 g
- Protein: 61.1 g
- Cholesterol: 155 mg