Aloo ki kachori is a traditional Indian and Pakistani recipe. Popular as street food and as a starter. Serve with a tangy chutney or a cooling raita. Enjoy.
- 500ml (2 cups) flour
- 15ml (1 tbsp) semolina
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) salt
- 45ml (3 tbsp) ghee
- 180ml (6fl oz) water
- 15ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) cumin seeds
- 2.5cm (½ in) fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 green chilli, washed and finely chopped
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) ground coriander
- 1.25ml (¼ tsp) turmeric
- 1.25ml (¼ tsp) mango powder
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) garam masala
- 2 large cooked potatoes, weighing about 300g (10oz), cut into cubes
- Oil, for deep frying
- First, mix all the pastry ingredients. Knead the dough and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the cumin seeds for about 3 minutes or until their aromas are released.
- Add the ginger and chilli and fry for a minute.
- Lastly, add the remaining spices and potatoes and stir over a low heat until everything is well incorporated. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Form a golf-sized ball with the dough then flatten it.
- Place about 30ml (2 tbsp) of filling in the centre of the dough, then pinch the edges together to envelope the filling. Flatten the ball into a thick disc.
- Continue the process until you’ve run out dough. Any leftover potato can be enjoyed as a side dish to a main meal.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan until it’s medium hot. You can test it by dropping a tiny amount of dough in it. If the dough comes gradually to the top, the oil is ready.
- Gently lower each kachori with a slotted spoon into the oil. Give it a nudge to help puff it up.
- When one side is crisp and brown, turn it around for the other side to fry.
- When both sides are cooked, lift it out with a slotted spoon and drain a paper towels.
- Serve immediately with your favourite chutney.
- Category: Starter
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 178
- Sugar: 2.4 g
- Sodium: 61 mg
- Fat: 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 29.5 g
- Fiber: 2.4 g
- Protein: 3.6 g
- Cholesterol: 8 mg