Make this tasty vegan beetroot curry with simple easy-to-follow directions. The best part is the beetroot curry uses ayurvedic spices and coconut milk.
- 15ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) fenugreek seeds
- 1kg (2 lbs) beetroot, scrubbed and cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground ginger
- 10ml (2 tsp) ground coriander
- 5ml (1 tsp) chilli powder
- Pinch of asafoetida
- 400ml (1 can) coconut milk
- 30ml (2 tbsp) tomato puree
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Coriander leaves
- Fry the fenugreek seeds in the oil on a medium heat for 2 minutes or until their aroma is released.
- Add the beetroot cubes to the mix and fry for 5 minutes until slightly softened, stirring constantly.
- Sprinkle in the garlic, cumin, ginger, coriander and asafoetida.
- Pour in the coconut milk and tomato puree then stir until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Simmer the curry gently for about 30 minutes or until the beetroot is tender.
- Season to taste then serve with yogurt and coriander.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 260
- Sugar: 15.8 g
- Sodium: 141 mg
- Fat: 19 g
- Saturated Fat: 14.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 22.3 g
- Fiber: 5.4 g
- Protein: 4.8 g