Beetroot poriyal is a fabulous way of cooking with beetroot differently, other than roasting it or pickling it! Taking no time to prepare, serve it fresh!
- 30ml (1 tbsp) coconut oil
- 5ml (1 tsp) mustard seeds
- 10ml (2 tsp) urad dal
- 12 curry leaves
- 2 green chillies, washed and halved
- Pinch asafoetida
- 450g (1lb) beetroot, peeled and cut into cubes
- ½ fresh coconut, flesh scraped out
- On a low heat, melt the oil and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds start to pop, add the dal until the latter is golden.
- Add the chillies, asafoetida and curry leaves and cook for a minute.
- Add the beetroot and stir well, then cover the pan with a lid.
- Continue to to cook on a low heat until the beetroot is cooked. Don’t forget to give the vegetables a stir every now and then and add a splash of water if needed. The beetroot would take around 10 minutes to cook.
- Season to taste and serve with fresh coconut shavings as a side dish.
- Some recipes for beetroot poriyal call for extra ingredients, such as onion and cumin. Peanut oil can be used as well. There is no right or wrong way. Have fun experimenting in the kitchen!
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 321
- Sugar: 12.8 g
- Sodium: 128 mg
- Fat: 24.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 20.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 24.7 g
- Fiber: 9.5 g
- Protein: 5.1 g