One might say that bhindi ki sabzi is a jewel of Northern Indian cuisine. It is vegetarian, it is nutritious and most importantly it is very easy to prepare. No need to slave away in the kitchen. You’ll need okra, onions, garlic, lemon, ground turmeric, ground cumin, chilli powder, ground coriander and garam masala.
- 30ml (2 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 green chilli, washed and finely chopped
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) turmeric
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) chilli powder
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) garam masala
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground coriander
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 450g (1lb) okra
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Salt, season to taste
- Add the onion, garlic and chilli and fry until softened and slightly browned.
- Add the okra and stir while frying.
- Place a lid on the pan and let it cook further for 3 minutes.
- Add the turmeric, coriander, cumin, chilli powder and garam masala to the okra and stir vigorously until everything is well mixed.
- Add the lemon juice and stir.
- Place a lid on the pan again and let it cook further for 3 minutes.
- By this time the okra would have shrunk and changed colour. When it’s tender the dish is ready.
- Season to taste and serve as side dish with Indian meal.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 139
- Sugar: 4.1 g
- Sodium: 51 mg
- Fat: 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.5 g
- Fiber: 5.2 g
- Protein: 3.2 g