- 700g (1 lb 9oz) floury potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 15ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil, plus extra for frying
- 185g (6½ oz) lean rindless streaky bacon, chopped
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
- 100g (4 oz) plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 egg yolk
- 100g (4 oz) mature Stilton (rind removed), crumbled
- Boil the potatoes for about 20 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, heat 15ml (1 tbsp) oil in a small frying pan, then fry the bacon for 3 minutes. Stir in the spring onions, then fry for another minute. Set aside.
- Drain the potatoes, dry them out in the pan for a minute over low heat, then mash until completely smooth. Stir in the flour, egg yolk, bacon and onions, add seasoning if you want, then leave to cool slightly.
- Mix the cheese into the mash, divide into 8 equal portions and shape into 10cm (4 in) cakes with floured hands. Fry in a little hot oil for 3-4 minutes on each side. You may have to do this in two batches.
- Serve with a fresh, green salad with your favourite salad dressing drizzled on top.
- After you have formed the cakes with your floured hands you can freeze the cakes for up to one month.
- The following types of blue cheese will work well in this recipe: stilton, roquefort, cambozola, cashel blue, danish blue cheese, dolcelatte and gorgonzola.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: British
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 355
- Sugar: 1.1 g
- Sodium: 604 mg
- Fat: 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 36.4 g
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Protein: 14 g
- Cholesterol: 53 mg