- 1 small ciabatta, cut in 1.5cm (½ in) slices
- 450g (1lb) podded broad beans
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 60ml (4 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
- 8 slices Parma ham
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Toast the baguette slices. This can be done in a toaster. Alternatively, you can brush each slice on both sides with olive oil and pan-fry it until crisp or place a trayful in a preheated oven of 180°C/355°F/gas mark 4 until crisp. Place on a baking tray to cool down.
- Cook the broad beans in boiling water for 2 mins. Drain, refresh under cold water, drain again, then peel from their skins.
- Mash the broad beans roughly, then stir in the garlic, mint, lemon and oil. Season to taste.
- Divide the bean mixture evenly between the slices of toast then top with ham. Serve immediately.
- Some patience is needed to peel the broad beans but, trust me, it’s worth the trouble!
- Vegans can simply omit the ham.
- Category: Starter
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 349
- Sugar: 1.8 g
- Sodium: 1031 mg
- Fat: 20 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 27.4 g
- Fiber: 5.5 g
- Protein: 16.1 g
- Cholesterol: 32 mg