- 350g (12 oz) fresh or frozen broad beans
- salt and pepper
- 15g (1 tbsp) butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 200g (7 oz) arborio (risotto) rice
- 1 litre (1¾ pints) hot vegetable stock
- grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- grated Parmesan, optional
- Cook the broad beans in a large pan of boiling salted water for 3-5 minutes or until just tender. Plunge into ice-cold water to cool. Drain, peel off the outer skin, if wished, and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the onion and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add the rice and continue to cook, stirring for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in a ladleful of the hot stock and simmer gently, stirring frequently until the rice has absorbed most of it. Keep adding the stock I nthis way until the rice is tender but still has bite to it; this will take about 15-20 minutes. The risotto should look creamy and soft when cooked.
- Add the broad beans, lemon rind and juice and warm through.
- Serve the risotto immediately, garnished with grated Parmesan and lemon rind.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 327
- Sugar: 2.1 g
- Sodium: 110 mg
- Fat: 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 56.8 g
- Fiber: 3.6 g
- Protein: 9.6 g
- Cholesterol: 8 mg