- 1 onion, chopped
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 butternut squash or pumpkin, peeled and diced
- 200g (7 oz) carnoroli (risotto) rice
- 600ml (1 pint) vegetable or chicken stock
- 30ml (2 tbsp) grated parmesan, to serve
- Fry the onion gently in the olive oil until soft but not browned.
- Add the squash and rice and stir until the grains are coated with oil. Add 2 ladles of stock and bring to a simmer.
- Cook, stirring until almost all the stock is absorbed. Add the rest of the stock a little at a time, cooking until each addition is absorbed, the squash is soft and the rice is al dente and creamy. Season well. Divide between 4 bowls and scatter with cheese.
- In the original recipe it states that you should only use 250g (½ lb) of squash but what about the rest? To my mind, you can chuck it all in, the more, the merrier! ?
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 269
- Sugar: 1.7 g
- Sodium: 383 mg
- Fat: 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 45.4 g
- Fiber: 2.8 g
- Protein: 8.4 g
- Cholesterol: 5 mg