- 90ml (6 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 large eggplants, washed and cut into 2.5cm (1in) cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 red pepper, washed and chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, washed and chopped
- 2 celery sticks, washed and chopped
- 20 pitted green olives
- 15ml (1 tbsp) salted capers, drained
- 15ml (1 tbsp) raisins
- 500ml (2 cups) passata
- 15ml (1 tbsp) white wine vinegar
- 15ml (1 tbsp) caster sugar
- 15ml (1 tbsp) pine nuts
- Fry the onion in a large saucepan until softened.
- Add the aubergine, peppers, celery and garlic and gently cook for about 10 minutes until softened.
- Add the olives, capers, raisins, passata, vinegar and sugar. Mix well and cover, leaving to cook on a gentle heat for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the pine nuts. Serve hot with pasta or cold with crusty bread.
- If you can get hold of high quality, fresh tomatoes, you can substitute the passata with three big ones, finely chopped.
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 354
- Sugar: 8.5 g
- Sodium: 388 mg
- Fat: 26 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 29.6 g
- Fiber: 5.4 g
- Protein: 3.6 g