Chicken Cacciatore is an authentic Italian chicken recipe comprising chicken thighs, red peppers, tomatoes and capers. You’ll learn what to serve with chicken cacciatore too!
- 8 chicken thighs
- 60ml (4 tbsp) seasoned flour for dusting
- 30ml (2 tbsp) oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 large red peppers, washed and chopped
- 125ml (¼ cup) dry white wine
- 1 (400g) can chopped tomatoes
- 400ml (⅔ pt) chicken stock
- 60ml (4 tbsp) capers, drained
- 60ml (4 tbsp) flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large ovenproof pan.
- Dust the chicken with flour and brown the pieces on a high heat.
- Remove the chicken, lower the heat and add the onions.
- Once the onions are translucent, add the garlic and red peppers and fry for 2 minutes.
- Turn up the heat, add the wine and let it bubble for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and stock, and stir well.
- Return the chicken to the pan with the sauce and let the mixture reach a bubbling point.
- Lower the heat until the stew slowly simmers and continue to cook for 45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and tender.
- Add the capers at the last minute and sprinkle the parsley upon serving.
- Serve with buttered pasta.
- This dish freezes well for later consumption.
- Category: Stew
- Method: Braise
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 423
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 709 mg
- Fat: 17.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.2 g
- Fiber: 1.6 g
- Protein: 42.8 g
- Cholesterol: 125 mg
Keywords: chicken cacciatore, what to serve with chicken cacciatore, authentic italian chicken recipe