This gorgonzola and pine nut pasta recipe is a heavenly combination. Combine delicious Italian gorgonzola cheese with penne pasta and fresh herbs. Enhance flavours with shallots and dry white wine. Enjoy with whichever pasta you prefer.
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 300ml (½ pint) dry white wine
- 450g (1 lb) penne pasta or any type you prefer
- 284ml (½ pint) double (heavy) cream
- 175g (6 oz) Gorgonzola cheese, cut into small pieces
- 90ml (6 tbsp) pine nuts
- shredded basil, to garnish
- To toast the pine nuts, add them to a hot, dry frying-pan and stir continuously until golden brown. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the shallots and cook for 4-5 minutes until softened but not browned. Add the wine and boil rapidly for 5-6 minutes until reduced by half.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling salted water according to the packet instructions. Stir the cream into the wine and shallots and simmer for 2 minutes. Lower the heat, stir in the Gorgonzola and heat gently until the cheese has just melted but there are still a few small lumps. Season to taste.
- Drain the pasta and return to the pan and pour over the Gorgonzola sauce and have the pine nuts. Toss together gently and divide between 4 serving bowls. Scatter over the remaining pine nuts and basil.
- Gorgonzola has quite a strong flavour, so if you prefer a gentler taste, reduce the amount of cheese used. Of course, if you’re a Gorgonzola fiend, add more to your heart’s desire.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 239
- Sugar: 1.475 g
- Sodium: 162 mg
- Fat: 12.95 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.725 g
- Carbohydrates: 22.4 g
- Fiber: 3.075 g
- Protein: 7.2 g
- Cholesterol: 33 mg