Suitable for freezing
- 1kg (2 lb) fresh tomatoes
- 15ml (1tbsp) olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- brown sugar
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Put the tomatoes in a big bowl. Pour boiling water over the tomatoes until every one is submerged. After a few minutes drain the tomatoes and hold them under running cold water. Slips their skins off.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan, then add the onion and garlic and let them gently cook for 5-6 minutes, until they are softened and golden. Now add the tomatoes. Simmer the tomatoes on a very low heat, without a lid for 1½ hours or until all the liquid had evaporated and the tomatoes are reduced to a thick, jam-like consistency, stirring now and then.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If the sauce if extremely acidic, you can try adding brown sugar in teaspoon increments until you’re satisfied.
- Serve the sauce spooned over pasta, sprinkled with Parmesan.
- If you like mozzarella cheese, you can melt some in the sauce before serving up.
- For extra flavour you can add some torn fresh basil leaves to the sauce before serving.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 116
- Sugar: 1.2 g
- Sodium: 65 mg
- Fat: 5.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 16.9 g
- Fiber: 3.9 g
- Protein: 2.8 g