If you love a certain wow factor about your food, then this authentic Jamaican rice and peas recipe is definitely for you! Super easy and nutritious!
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 45ml (3 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 1.25ml (¼ tsp) ground allspice
- 400g (1lb) long grain rice, rinsed in cold water
- 400g (1 tin) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 1 scotch bonnet chilli
- 400ml (1 tin) coconut milk
- Salt and pepper
- Fry the onion and garlic gently in the oil in a large pot until translucent.
- Add the allspice and stir thoroughly.
- Add the rice, kidney beans, thyme, chilli, coconut milk and 400ml (⅔ pt) water and stir.
- Bring the contents to a slow simmer, cover and cook for around 30 minutes until the rice is cooked.
- Remove the thyme, garlic and chilli then fluff the rice with a fork.
- Season with freshly ground salt and pepper.
- Serve with your favourite jerk dish and a salsa.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Caribbean
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 693
- Sugar: 4.5 g
- Sodium: 22 mg
- Fat: 24.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 15.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 99.9 g
- Fiber: 12.9 g
- Protein: 21.6 g