It’s about time you discovered the Filipino cuisine with this authentic chicken caldereta recipe. Taste the traditional flavours of Kapampangan cuisine.
- 250ml (1 cup) pineapple juice
- 30ml (2 tbsp) soy sauce
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 4 chicken thighs
- 100g (3½oz) raw chicken livers
- 5ml (1 tsp) sunflower oil
- 30ml (2 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 500g (1lb) potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 400g (1 carton) passata
- 1 red pepper, washed and chopped
- 250ml (1 cup) peas
- 125ml (½ cup) grated Cheddar cheese
- Mix the pineapple juice and soy in a bowl then place the chicken pieces in the sauce. Marinate for at least 2 hours, or preferably overnight.
- Fry the chicken livers in sunflower oil until completely cooked. Remove from the heat and let them cool down. Blend the livers in a food processor until it forms a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and pat dry. Reserve the marinade.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large casserole and brown the chicken on a high heat.
- Add the onion and fry for 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the potatoes, carrots, passata and marinade.
- Give everything a stir and let the chicken stew reach a slow simmering point.
- Cook for about 1 hour or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Add the red pepper and peas, and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Stir in the liver paste and cheese until well incorporated into the sauce.
- Serve immediately with rice. Enjoy!
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Filipino