This cochifrito, also known as cuchifritos, recipe is made with lamb, not pork. Another super Spanish lamb dish that’s easy to prepare but packed with flavour.
- 45ml (3 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 1kg (2 lbs) boneless shoulder of lamb, cut in 2.5cm (1in) slices
- 2 onions, peeled and finely sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 5ml (1 tsp) paprika
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and brown the lamb in batches.
- Remove the lamb and set aside then add the onions and garlic.
- When the onion mixture has softened add the meat, paprika and season to taste.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until cooked and tender.
- This dish may also be made using pork in place of lamb – the name “cochifrito” means little pig, fried.
- In the photo the lamb was served with Garlic & Chilli Courgetti and boiled new potatoes. The meat also goes wonderfully in a wrap with avocado, red onions and a dollop of yogurt.
- Category: Casserole
- Method: Braise
- Cuisine: Spanish
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 366
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 186 mg
- Fat: 17.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 5 g
- Protein: 42.9 g
- Cholesterol: 143 mg
Keywords: Cochifrito recipe, spanish cuchifritos, spanish lamb dishes