Don’t let the name Devilled Sausages scare you from cooking this flavourful sausage recipe. Select your favourite sausages and cook them in a spicy sauce.
- 30ml (2 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 500g (1lb) chicken sausages
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 15ml (1 tbsp) cornstarch
- 1 apple, washed and sliced
- 400g (1 can) chopped tomatoes
- 15ml (1 tbsp) Worcestershire sauce
- 15ml (1 tbsp) Dijon mustard
- 15ml (1 tbsp) soy sauce
- 5ml (1 tsp) smoked paprika
- 5ml (1 tsp) cayenne pepper
- 250ml (1 cup) chicken stock
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Fry the onions at a high heat for 2 minutes then add the sausages and brown all over.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the cornstarch and add the apple wedges.
- Pour in the tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, soy, paprika, pepper and stock. Give everything a stir until the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Let the sausage stew bubble away gently for 10 to 15 minutes or until the meat is cooked through. (Use a meat thermometer if you have one.)
- Serve on a big pile of buttery mash.
- In this recipe I used chicken sausages, but feel free to substitute it with the meat of your choice. Even vegetarian or vegan ones will work! Just use vegetable stock instead.
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 383
- Sugar: 12.4g
- Sodium: 1004mg
- Fat: 20.9g
- Saturated Fat: 5.7g
- Carbohydrates: 29.6g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 18.2g