Combine ingredients like mushrooms, port, blackcurrant jelly and mixed game meat to make the ultimate game pie. Serve with a lovely glass of heavy red wine.
- 30ml (2 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 500g (1lb) mixed game meat, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 15g (½oz) flour
- 300g (10oz) mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
- 125ml (½ cup) port
- 125ml (½ cup) chicken stock
- 15ml (1 tbsp) blackcurrant jelly
- 1 bay leaf
- 170g (6oz) puff pastry
- 1 egg, whisked
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Brown the meat on all sides then remove from the pot.
- Fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Stir in the flour then add the mushrooms. Fry for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the port, stock, jelly and bay leaf.
- Return the meat to the pot and let the stew reach a slow simmering point and cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove the stew from the heat and transfer it to an ovenproof pie dish.
- Preheat the oven to to 200℃/390°F/gas mark 6.
- Meanwhile, roll out the puff pastry on a floured surface until it’s 0.5cm (⅕ inch) thick.
- Cut a long strip as wide as the rim of the pie dish and, using a little of the 1 beaten egg, fix to the edge of the pie dish.
- Brush with beaten egg, then lift the rest of the pastry over the pie, using the rolling pin to help. Gently press the edges with your fingers and trim with a sharp knife.
- Brush lightly with egg to glaze, then bake for 20 mins.
- Lower the heat to 180℃/355°F/gas mark 4 and continue to cook for 30 minutes or until the pastry is risen and dark golden brown.
- Serve immediately with buttery mash and peas.
- Wild mushrooms work particularly well in this recipe.
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Scottish
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 588
- Sugar: 8.5g
- Sodium: 288mg
- Fat: 37.3g
- Saturated Fat: 9.7g
- Carbohydrates: 41.5g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Protein: 22.8g
- Cholesterol: 126mg