This marinated chicken drumsticks recipe is very easy and uses very simple ingredients while obtaining the best results. Make this chicken Spanish-style.
- 15ml (1 tbsp) paprika
- 5ml (1 tsp) salt
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) black pepper
- 1.25ml (¼ tsp) cayenne pepper
- 10ml (2 tsp) brown sugar
- 1½ oranges, zested and juiced
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- Mix all the ingredients in a plastic bag and marinate the chicken overnight. It helps to knead the bag every now and then to make sure the chicken is completely covered.
- Preheat the oven to 140°C/fan 120°C/285°F/gas mark 1.
- Arrange the drumsticks in a dish in a single layer. Drizzle a bit of marinade over them to keep them moisturized. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Take the chicken out of the oven and increase the temperature to 180°C/fan 160°C/350°F/gas mark 4.
- Remove the foil and pour a bit more marinade to the chicken and make sure the drumsticks are well-coated.
- Return the chicken to the oven and bake for another 20 minutes, turning several times, until the chicken is tender and nicely glazed.
- Let the chicken rest for a few minutes before serving.
- Instead of baking the chicken in the oven you can barbecue them while continuously glazing them with the marinade. Another method is to par-cook them in the oven first, then finishing them off on the grill.
- Drumsticks were used in this recipe to ensure even cooking. You are welcome to use chicken wings, thighs or breasts instead. Take note that you will need a longer cooking time if the pieces are bigger – bake for longer at 140°C/fan 120°C/285°F/gas mark 1 but keep the browning/glazing stage at 20 minutes at 180°C/fan 160°C/350°F/gas mark 4.
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Spanish
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 287
- Sugar: 25.3g
- Sodium: 389mg
- Fat: 5.9g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrates: 32.5g
- Fiber: 6.8g
- Protein: 28g
- Cholesterol: 81mg