Orange Peel Sauce
- 2 oranges, zest and juice
- 250ml (1 cup) orange juice
- 125ml (½ cup) chicken stock
- 30ml (2 tbsp) rice wine vinegar
- 30ml (2 tbsp) soy sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2.5cm (1in) fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
- 30ml (2 tbsp) brown sugar
- 15ml (1 tbsp) sriracha [optional]
- 15ml (1 tbsp) cornstarch
- 600g (1½lbs) chicken breasts, cut into 2.5cm (1in) pieces
- 60ml (¼ cup) cornstarch
- 30ml (2 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 4 spring onions, washed and chopped
- For the Orange Peel Sauce: Place all the ingredients, except for the cornstarch, in a saucepan.
- Turn up to a medium heat and let the sauce reach a slow simmer point and continue to cook for 10 minutes or until the flavours have infused the sauce.
- Place the cornstarch in a small cup and add 15ml (1 tsbp) of water to it. Stir.
- Slowly drizzle the cornstarch slurry to the sauce while stirring.
- After a few minutes the sauce will thicken.
- Turn off the heat and set the sauce aside.
- For the Fried Chicken: Place the chicken in a bowl and coat with the cornstarch.
- Heat the oil in a wok and fry the chicken in batches until browned all over.
- Place all the browned chicken in the wok and turn up the heat.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and let it sizzle for 2 minutes or until the chicken has been cooked through.
- Sprinkle with spring onions and serve immediately with rice. Enjoy!
- When frying the chicken pieces, use more oil if needed.
- [Optional] If you would like a smooth sauce, sieve the orange peel sauce before adding the cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce.
- If you’re a sauce aficionado like me, add a dash more orange juice to the sauce after it’s been thickened to create a bit more of it. It will boost the orange flavour even more!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Fry
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: orange peel chicken, pf Changs orange peel chicken recipe, pei wei orange peel chicken