Who said that eating pasta is forbidden when trying to cut down a couple of pounds or kilos? With this slimming world spaghetti Bolognese sauce, you can munch away at the pasta completely guilt-free. Since spaghetti Bolognese is filling, it’s allowed to be eaten by those who abide by the slimming world system. Equally, this spaghetti Bolognese recipe is fine for all sorts of dieters such as weight watchers.
Generally speaking, spaghetti Bolognese is a dish which stems from Italian cuisine and is packed with full Italian flavours. As such, this slimming world spaghetti Bolognese is no different. If you were blind-folded, you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between the syn-free version and the original Italian version.
The important things about this slimming world spaghetti Bolognese is to use the correct syn-free ingredients. Trust me when I say, that even substituting olive oil with low-calorie cooking spray makes the difference in terms of syns.
Lastly, when you serve the slimming world spaghetti Bolognese, be mindful about the types of toppings. Especially since traditional pasta toppings such as Parmesan cheese is not exactly syn free, but we’ll get to that later.
slimming world spaghetti Bolognese
Believe it or not, but this slimming world spaghetti Bolognese is syn free! Meaning, you can eat as much of this spaghetti Bolognese as you want.
Let’s discuss what makes this spaghetti Bolognese syn free. First of all, dried pasta is considered a syn-free food. Syn-free foods are also called Free foods. Basically, they are low-fat foods which are filling, and include vegetables, potatoes, rice, lean meats, eggs, fish, fruits and pasta! Yes, pasta too. I am sure those on a keto-diet consider this mind-boggling. Nevertheless, dried pasta is syn free, just like lentils or beans because they are filling.
Next, instead of using olive oil to fry off ingredients, a low-calorie cooking spray is used.
Lastly, this slimming world spaghetti Bolognese doesn’t involve the use of red wine (which is often the case for a Bolognese recipe). That’s because, in general, a small glass (125 ml) of red wine contains approximately 4-5 syns and a larger glass (250 ml) of red wine has roughly 8-9 syns.
Instead, tinned tomatoes are used, which are syn-free. Just be careful when you purchase the tinned tomatoes. Some brands of tinned tomatoes contain olive oil, and hence are not syn free.
If you are looking for other syn-free slimming world recipes, then take a look at this delicious slimming world beef stroganoff.
how to make spaghetti Bolognese
Here’s a list of things you’ll need to make this slimming world spaghetti Bolognese or any pasta dish for that matter:
- stew pot – a deep pot that can cook your pasta in no time
- fresh pasta maker – you can use this to make fresh fusilli pasta, however a slimming world pasta recipe only calls for dried pasta
- vegetable spiralizer – when you would like to make a keto-friendly version without the pasta and use carrots or courgettes/zucchini instead
- cheese grater – in case you feel like adding a fresh pasta topping
slimming world spaghetti Bolognese with peppers
If you feel like adding more texture to your spaghetti Bolognese recipe, you can add as many bell peppers as you want. They are syn free and will also add a subtle sweet flavour.
If you have leftover red bell peppers, you can use them in the following recipes:
- bell peppers stuffed with couscous, pine nuts and raisins
- sweet chilli chicken stir fry
- sweet potato and red pepper soup
- Chinese mixed vegetable stir fry
Do you have a favourite bell pepper recipe?
slimming world spaghetti Bolognese with Worcestershire sauce
You can use Worcestershire sauce for your slimming world spaghetti Bolognese. It is syn free! Plus, it gives your pasta recipe a kick of flavour.
slimming world Bolognese ragu
Try the ragu sauce from this spaghetti Bolognese recipe in other recipes. For instance, the sauce is interchangeable with this beef cheek ragu.
slimming world Bolognese pasta bake
You can also making this slimming world spaghetti Bolognese into a pasta bake. Just omit the cheese layer. Remember, 100 grams of cheese is roughly 20 syns.
If you love pasta recipes, you should also try these:
- chicken, ham and cheese pasta
- tomato orzo with bacon, mozzarella, spinach and Parmesan cheese
- chicken pesto pasta
- mushroom & bacon spaghetti with chestnut pesto
- chilli prawn pasta
- gorgonzola and spinach spaghetti
- spaghetti alla carrettiera
- spaghetti with tomatoes and pancetta
slimming world Bolognese calories
If you are looking for other low-calorie or syn-free friendly spaghetti dishes, you can check these out:
- vegan spaghetti Bolognese – made with adzuki beans which are syn free
- gluten free spaghetti Bolognese – excellent for those with gluten allergies
healthy pasta toppings
There are a couple of toppings which you should watch out for when you want to enjoy this slimming world spaghetti Bolognese.
Let’s start with the most popular and tempting toppings.
1. Parmesan cheese, Grana Padano or Pecorino Romano
Sometimes, I can’t imagine eating a pasta dish without grated cheese on top, especially when it comes to those three which I’ve mentioned above.
Parmesan is considered as a Healthy Extra A because it contains calcium. However, just take care because 1 tablespoon of grated Parmesan or any of the other cheeses has approximately 1.5 syns. In addition, if you eat 30 grams it is 6 syns in total.
If you are low on Health Extra A (known as HexA), then you don’t need to count the syn value. However, if you already had your daily intake of HexA, then you will need to count the syn value in your total syn allowance.
2. olive oil
If you were thinking about adding olive oil on top of this slimming world spaghetti Bolognese, think twice before you do. As you know, all oils are roughly 6 syns per tablespoon or 2 syns per teaspoon.
Before adding olive oil on top of the spaghetti Bolognese, you need to consider your syn allowance for the day. If you’ve got some leftover syns, then you don’t need to worry. However, in general, I don’t recommend using this topping for a slimming world pasta recipe.
3. other healthy pasta toppings
Here’s a list of syn-free pasta toppings to keep your slimming world pasta Bolognese completely syn free:
- crushed red pepper flakes
- fresh red chillies
- fresh herbs such as watercress, parsley, cilantro, oregano or basil
How would you make your slimming world spaghetti Bolognese? Let me know in the comments section below.Print
Enjoy this totally syn free slimming world spaghetti Bolognese recipe. Learn which pasta toppings are Healthy Extras and which ones you should look out for.
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, washed and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 500g (1lb) lean beef mince
- 125ml (½ cup) red wine [optional, 8.5 syns]
- 500ml (2 cups) passata
- 400g (1 can) chopped tomatoes
- 30ml (2 tbsp) tomato puree
- 250ml (1 cup) beef stock
- 5ml (1 tsp) dried basil
- 5ml (1 tsp) dried oregano
- 5ml (1 tsp) rosemary
- 15ml (1 tbsp) artificial sweetener [optional]
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F/gas mark 3.
- Spray a large ovenproof casserole dish with low calorie cooking spray.
- Add the onions, garlic, celery and carrots and cook over a low heat for 10 to 15 minutes until the vegetables have softened. Don’t forget to regularly give it a stir!
- Turn up the heat and add the beef mince to the vegetables, browning the meat as you stir.
- Pour in the red wine and let it bubble for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir thoroughly.
- Turn up the heat and let it reach a slow simmering point.
- Place the lid on the dish and transfer it to the oven.
- After 30 minutes, reduce the oven’s temperature to 140°C/275°F/gas mark 1 and cook for another 2 hours. If the bolognese gets a bit dry, add a splash of water.
- Serve with pasta or spiralised vegetables. Shavings of parmesan won’t go amiss either!
- You don’t have to cook the bolognese for so long, but low and slow is definitely the way to go for best results. The sauce tastes even better the next day!
- Red wine makes everything taste better! Although it’s optional in this recipe, it is worth the extra 1.5 syns per serving.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: slimming world spaghetti bolognese, slimming world bolognese sauce recipe, spag Bol recipe, bolognese slimming world