- 400ml (1 can) coconut milk
- 100g (3 oz) dried taro leaves
- 4 red chillies, finely chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 90g (3oz) ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 5ml (1 tsp) shrimp paste
- 1 leek, white part thinly sliced
- Place the taro leaves in a pot of boiling water.
- Cook the taro until it has softened, which would take about 35 minutes.
- Once cooked drain the taro leaves, squeeze out the excess water and set aside.
- Pour the coconut milk into a pan with the chillies, garlic and ginger.
- Simmer for 25 minutes.
- Once the coconut milk has been infused, remove from the heat and remove the spices using a strainer.
- Sauté the shrimp paste in a pan then add the taro leaves and infused coconut milk.
- Cook until the leaves have wilted and the sauce has reduced.
- For garnish, deep fry the leeks in hot oil until golden.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Braise
- Cuisine: Filipino
- Calories: 219
- Sugar: Sugars
- Sodium: 187 mg
- Fat: 24.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.9 g
- Fiber: Dietary Fiber
- Protein: 5.1 g
- Cholesterol: 4 mg