- 45ml (3 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 5ml (1 tsp) cumin seeds
- 5ml (1 tsp) mustard seeds
- 2.5cm (1 in) ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium-hot chili, finely chopped [optional]
- 5ml (1 tsp) turmeric
- 5ml (1 tsp) garam masala
- 1kg (2 lbs) potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 2.5cm (1 in) pieces
- fresh cilantro (coriander leaves)
- Heat the oil in a hot, lidded frying pan and fry the cumin and mustard seeds for a minute or do until they pop.
- Now add the ginger, garlic, onion and chili and continue frying for a further minute before adding the turmeric and garam masala. Cook for 1 more minute.
- Now turn the heat down to low and add the potatoes to the pan. Mix in 125ml (½ cup) of water, put the lid on and continue cooking for about 10-15 minutes, stirring regularly, or until the potatoes are just tender. You may need to add a little extra water to stop them sticking to the pan as theey cook. Add just enough water to keep the potatoes mobile in the pan.
- Top with fresh cilantro (coriander leaves) and serve.
- If you like your food hot, add more chilies.
- Instead of fresh chilies you can use chili powder and adjust it to the hotness you prefer.
- For novelty value I used purple potatoes but you can use any variety you like.
- Calories: 326
- Sugar: 2.45 g
- Sodium: 53 mg
- Fat: 11.425 g
- Carbohydrates: 52.025 g
- Fiber: 5.1 g
- Protein: 4.9 g
- Cholesterol: 1 mg