Cook a big batch of Brandied Pears and turn them into delightful Christmas gifts! Find out which pears to buy and which products you’ll need.
- 560ml (2¼ cups) brandy
- 560ml (2¼ cups) water
- 250g (1¼ cup) brown sugar
- 3 whole cloves
- 3 whole star anise
- 2 cinnamon stick
- 2 lemon, zested
- 2 orange, zested
- 3 rosemary sprigs
- 8 pears, peeled and cored
- Combine all of the ingredients, except for the pears, in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil for 1 minute, stir and reduce to a simmer.
- Place the pears in the simmering liquid.
- Cover with a lid and let them gently simmer for 20 minutes, or until the pears are tender and cooked through.
- To store: Place the pears with a slotted spoon in sterilised Tala glass-top jars.
- Sieve the liquid and pour it in with the pears, ensuring the fruit is submerged. Store in a cool dark place.
- To serve: Pour the brandy sauce in a saucepan and cook on a medium-high heat until sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Add the pears to it and gently heat through.
- Serve the pears and sauce with vanilla ice cream and chopped walnuts.
- Watch out for the type of pears you purchase. Sweet, eating pears will dissolve in the cooking process. The best varieties you can use is Conference, Bosc or Seckel.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: brandied pears, preserved pears recipe, storing pears in alcohol, pear dessert recipe