Older readers know by now I love butternut. I have posted recipes where it is used in two soups, a vegan meal, roasted and even in pâté. It was only a matter of time that I was going to use in classic risotto. The original recipe I found in olive magazine but adapted it slightly to make it healthier. Enjoy.
Butternut Squash Risotto
- 1 onion, chopped
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 butternut squash or pumpkin, peeled and diced
- 200g (7 oz) carnoroli (risotto) rice
- 600ml (1 pint) vegetable or chicken stock
- 30ml (2 tbsp) grated parmesan, to serve
- Fry the onion gently in the olive oil until soft but not browned.
- Add the squash and rice and stir until the grains are coated with oil. Add 2 ladles of stock and bring to a simmer.
- Cook, stirring until almost all the stock is absorbed. Add the rest of the stock a little at a time, cooking until each addition is absorbed, the squash is soft and the rice is al dente and creamy. Season well. Divide between 4 bowls and scatter with cheese.
- In the original recipe it states that you should only use 250g (½ lb) of squash but what about the rest? To my mind, you can chuck it all in, the more, the merrier! ?
Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 5.2 g
Saturated Fat 1.6 g
Cholesterol 5 mg
Sodium 383 mg
Total Carbohydrates 45.4 g
Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
Sugars 1.7 g
Protein 8.4 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.