This mung bean curry is healthy & easy to prepare. Sweet potato and spinach are added to make it a complete vegan meal with rice.
- 500g (2½ cups) dried mung beans
- 45ml (3 tbsp) coconut oil
- 7.5ml (½ tbsp) mustard seeds
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) fenugreek seeds
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) asafoetida
- 10 curry leaves
- 5 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 45ml (3 tbsp) Daregal frozen garlic
- 45ml (3 tbsp) Daregal frozen ginger
- 45ml (3 tbsp) Daregal frozen red chillies
- 60ml (4 tbsp) ground cumin
- 30ml (2 tbsp) ground turmeric
- 30ml (2 tbsp) ground coriander
- 30ml (2 tbsp) sea salt
- 3 x (400g) tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1.5ℓ (6 cups) vegetable stock
- 45ml (3 tbsp) brown sugar
- 1kg (6 medium) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 240g (8 cups) spinach, washed
- 1 lime, juiced
- Coriander leaves, washed
- Soak the dried mung beans in plenty of water overnight.
- Rinse and drain the beans.
- Place the beans and 2.5ℓ (10 cups) of water in a large saucepan and bring to the boil over medium heat.
- Simmer over a low heat for 30 minutes, or until the mung beans are soft. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the mustard and fenugreek seeds.
- Once the seeds start popping, stir in the asafoetida and curry leaves. Fry for 1 minute.
- Tip in the onions and stir. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent and softened.
- Stir in the garlic, ginger and chilli. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the cumin, turmeric, coriander and salt.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock and sugar.
- Let the sauce reach a simmering point then tip in the sweet potatoes. Cook for 10 minutes or until the the sweet potatoes are almost cooked.
- Tip in the mung beans, stir and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the spinach and let it wilt in the heat.
- Pour in the lime juice, stir and season to taste.
- Serve with brown rice and top with coriander leaves.
- If you can’t get hold of frozen garlic, ginger or chillies, substitute with the following, respectively – 6 garlic cloves, 5cm (2in) fresh ginger root and 4 red chillies.
- For a smoother base sauce, I blended the chopped tomatoes until smooth and then added it to the curry.
- Category: Curry
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: mung bean curry, mung bean recipe, vegan bean curry, mung beans curry recipe