Make these simple roasted artichoke hearts in a true Sicilian fashion! This recipe comes directly from Sicily and it will make you love artichokes forever.
- 12 globe artichokes
- 60ml (4 tbsp) olive oil
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 125ml (½ cup) parsley, washed and finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
- First, clean the artichokes by cutting off their stems. Peel off the tough outer layers. When you reach the softer layers, use a serrated knife to cut off about 3/4 inches from the top. Cut artichoke in half lengthwise. Then, using a sharp paring knife, remove all the “hairs” on the inside.
- Mix the artichoke halves in a bowl with the oil, lemon juice, parsley and plenty of salt and pepper.
- Arrange the hearts on a lined baking sheet and cook for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Flip them around and cook for another 10 minutes. Keep an eye on them to prevent burning!
- Serve immediately as part of a Mediterranean meal.
- Alternatively, cook the artichokes on a barbecue and grill until cooked; roughly the same time as you would an oven.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 355
- Sugar: 5.1g
- Sodium: 462mg
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 2.2g
- Carbohydrates: 52.3g
- Fiber: 26.7g
- Protein: 16.2g