This Sicilian almond brittle is made with whole skinless unsalted almonds, butter, vanilla extract, sesame seeds & thyme. Add a pinch of salt to refine it.
- 450g (1lb) whole almonds
- 450g (1lb) unsalted butter
- 450g (1lb) granulated sugar
- 5ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 150g (5oz) sesame seeds
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs, washed
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
- To toast the almond, place them on a baking tray and roast for 5 minutes. Check on them and give them a shake. Bake for another 5-10 minutes until they are golden in colour, crunchy and you can smell them. Remove from the heat.
- Gently heat the butter in a pan then add the sugar until it’s dissolved.
- Place a sugar thermometer in the pan and let the mixture reach a bubbling point.
- When the sugar mixture has reached a temperature of 120°C (250°F), add the almonds and vanilla.
- Continue to stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture reaches 150°C (300°F). Pour in the sesame seeds and thyme, give it a stir and remove from the heat.
- Carefully pour the toffee onto greased baking parchment and leave to cool for about an hour.
- Break with a hammer or cut with a sharp knife. Enjoy!
- The almonds and sesame seeds can be substituted with different nuts, e.g. peanuts or cashews.
- In this case the almond brittle was used as a cannoli topping.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 379
- Sugar: 45.4g
- Sodium: 67mg
- Fat: 20.2g
- Saturated Fat: 7.1g
- Carbohydrates: 50.4g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Protein: 4.3g
- Cholesterol: 24mg