Learn how to make apple and rhubarb crumble in a few easy steps. Serve with ice cream or custard to complete this classic British crumble recipe.
- 30ml (2 tbsp) butter
- 450g (1lb) rhubarb, washed and chopped
- 45ml (3 tbsp) port [optional]
- 450g (1lb) apples, cored, peeled and sliced
- 100g (3oz) caster sugar
- 200g (7oz) flour
- 120g (4oz) rolled oats
- 200g (7oz) butter
- 200g (7 oz) caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan 160°C/356°F/gas 4).
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan then gently fry the rhubarb for 3 minutes.
- [Optional] Turn up the heat, add the port and let it sizzle for a minute. Lower the heat again.
- Add the sugar and apples, stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and place the crumble filling in a large baking dish.
- To make the crumble, rub the oats, flour, sugar, and butter together in a bowl with your fingertips until well mixed.
- Sprinkle this mixture over the fruit and bake for 30-45 minutes, or until the fruit bubbles and the topping is golden brown.
- Serve with custard or ice cream. Enjoy!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: English
Keywords: apple and rhubarb crumble, how to make crumble, rhubarb recipe, crumble recipe