This cream cheese frosting is highly addictive. Make more than you think that’s needed just to err on the safe side.
This versatile cream cheese icing can be used on a variety of different cupcakes such as:
Not only does this icing match so well with different kinds of sponge, you can actually give it different flavours.
Lemon: 4 tbsp lemon juice or 4tsp lemon zest
Ginger: 2tsp ground ginger
Peppermint: 3tsp peppermint extract
Cinnamon: 10ml (2 tsp) ground cinnamon [used in the photos with Pumpkin Cupcakes]
Coconut: freshly grated or dried flaked coconut
Chinese Five Spice: 1 tsp
Bourbon: add a little at a time, right consistency – keep shape – and flavour, try other alcohol such as Baileys Irish Cream Liqueur.
Chilli: chili powder, add little at a time to taste. Use with chocolate for Cinco de Mayo theme.
Go and have a play in the kitchen – bake your heart out!
Cupcake Cookbooks You will Love
- The Hummingbird Bakery Cupcakes & Muffins
- Cupcakes From the Primrose Bakery
- Making Cupcakes with Lola
- 140g (9 1/2 tbsp) butter
- 225g (1 2/3 cup) icing sugar, sieved
- 210g (1 cup) cream cheese
- 7.5ml (1 1/2 tsp) vanilla extract
- Leave the butter to warm to room temperature and cut into cubes. Place the butter in a bowl and beat with a stand or hand mixer on high speed until pale and fluffy, which should take about 2-3 minutes.
- Beat the sugar into the butter for 3-5 minutes until well mixed.
- Don’t forget to scrape the bowl occasionally with a rubber spatula to ensure that all ingredients are blended well together.
- Add the cream cheese and any flavouring of your choice to the mixture and beat until fluffy.
- Spread, spoon or pipe the icing on cooled down cupcakes.
- Category: Cupcakes
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 179
- Sugar: Sugars
- Sodium: 54 mg
- Fat: 12.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 16.1 g
- Protein: 1.1 g
- Cholesterol: 38 mg
More Sweet Things
- Salted Caramel Cupcakes
- Raspberry and White Chocolate Cupcakes
- Carrot Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream
- Chocolate Orange Cupcakes