Learn how to make a simple yet sophisticated pumpkin and beetroot salad with blue cheese and lentils. Works best when you roast the pumpkin and beetroot.
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 6 beetroot, scrubbed and sliced
- 30ml (2 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 180g (6oz) baby spinach leaves, washed
- 30ml (2 tbsp) pumpkin seeds
- 250g (½lb) cooked lentils
- 150g (5oz) blue cheese, crumbled
- 45ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
- 15ml (1 tbsp) honey
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
- Arrange the pumpkin cubes and beetroot slices on a baking tray and drizzle with vegetable oil. Bake for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are fork tender.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Place the salad leaves in a large mixing bowl and add the pumpkin, beetroot, lentils and blue cheese and stir.
- Pour the olive oil, honey and lemon juice in a cup and stir.
- Drizzle the salad dressing over the salad, season to taste and serve immediately.
- Omit the cheese and honey and you have a filling and nutritious vegan salad!
- This salad is perfect to take to work, just store it in the fridge.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 421
- Sugar: 11.6 g
- Sodium: 442 mg
- Fat: 21 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 42.3 g
- Fiber: 15.9 g
- Protein: 11.6 g
- Cholesterol: 19 mg