Try this impeccable rhubarb dump cake. This rhubarb recipe is the perfect balance between acidity and sweetness. Serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 450g (1lb) fresh rhubarb, washed
- 100g (½ cup) caster sugar
- 135g (1 packet) strawberry jelly [see Notes]
- 425g (1 packed) vanilla cake mix
- 80ml (⅓ cup) butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / gas mark 4.
- Chop the rhubarb into bite-sized pieces and arrange them evenly in a deep, oven-proof dish.
- Sprinkle the sugar evenly on top of the rhubarb.
- Melt the jelly in 90ml (3fl oz) boiling water and stir until completely dissolved. Pour the liquid jelly into the dish.
- Sprinkle the cake mix evenly until all the rhubarb is covered.
- Drizzle the butter evenly over the cake mix.
- Bake the cake for 45 minutes, or until golden on top.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
- The jelly referred to in the ingredients list is for the concentrated jelly products available in the UK that need dissolving in water in order to make standard jelly. If you live in North America, you can substitute it with 85g (3oz) packet of powdered strawberry jello. If you are using the latter, omit the step of dissolving the jelly in a bit of water first. Simply sprinkle the jello, along with the sugar, on the rhubarb proceed with the cake mix.
- The cake mix should be enough to make a two-tiered cake.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: rhubarb dump cake, American dessert recipe, rhubarb recipe, rhubarb dessert