Learn how to make a fruity strawberry flan recipe. Best served with fresh strawberries, whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- 3 eggs
- 100g (½ cup) sugar
- 75g (⅓ cup) butter, melted
- 125g (1 cup) flour
- 22.5ml (1½ tbsp) baking powder
- 375ml (1½ cups) milk
- 1 vanilla pod, split in half
- 4 egg yolks
- 75g (⅓ cup) caster sugar
- 25g (4 tbsp) flour
- 450g (3 cups) strawberries, washed and hulled
- 100g (⅔ cup) white chocolate, melted
- 30g (⅓ cup) slivered almonds, toasted
- For the Cake Base: Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / gas mark 4.
- Grease a 30cm (12in) sponge flan baking pan with butter, then dust with flour & set aside.
- Place eggs, sugar and butter into a large bowl and mix together with a blender until fluffy, which should take about 3 minutes.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into the egg mixture, then whisk.
- Pour the contents into the prepared baking pan and spread evenly.
- Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for 12 – 15 minutes until golden brown. Remove the sponge flan from the oven, and carefully tip it out onto a cooling rack to allow it to cool completely.
- For the Filling: Place the milk and vanilla pod in a pan and heat through. Remove from the heat.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar.
- Add the flour and a bit of the warm milk and stir.
- Add this mixture to the rest of the warm vanilla milk which is still in the saucepan.
- Whisk over a medium heat until smooth and thickened, which should take about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
- When the pastry case and custard have cooled down completely, fill the pastry case up to the brim with custard.
- Arrange the strawberries on top and drizzle with melted white chocolate and sprinkle with almonds.
- Serve immediately with whipped cream or ice cream, plus extra strawberries. Enjoy!
- This isn’t a make ahead recipe. If this flan stands around too long the custard will soak through the pastry, making it soggy.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: strawberry flan, strawberry sponge flan recipe, strawberry and custard flan, Valentine's Day dessert, strawberry dessert recipe