Live life dangerously. Cook an ostrich egg!
- 18 back bacon rashers
- 1.5kg (3.3 lbs) potatoes, peeled
- 1 ostrich egg
- 200g (½ lb) cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 bunches spring onions, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan 160°C/355°F/gas 4).
- Grill the bacon until cooked. Wait until cooled then cut with scissors into strips and set aside.
- Meanwhile cut the potatoes into 2.5cm (1 inch) cubes. Boil in salted water until just tender, then drain and set aside.
- Crack the egg in a large bowl and whisk. Stir in the bacon, potatoes and cheese.
- Divide the mixture into 3 baking dishes then sprinkle the onions over them.
- Place the dishes in the oven and cook for 30-45 minutes or until set.
- Serve with a crispy salad and some mayonnaise.
- There is room for play in this recipe. Add and remove ingredients (e.g. peppers, mushroom, different cheeses) to your liking because it’s very hard to go wrong!
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 182.5
- Calories: 249
- Sugar: 1.4 g
- Sodium: 153 mg
- Fat: 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 14.8 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 16.3 g
- Cholesterol: 264 mg