A warming traditional winter time drink. This eggnog is easy to make and will get you in the Christmas spirit.
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 100g (½ cup) golden caster sugar
- 500ml (2 cups) milk
- 250ml (1 cup) cream
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 10 ml (2 tsp) vanilla paste
- 125ml (½ cup) rum
- 30ml (2 tbsp) bourbon
- 25g (⅛ cup) caster sugar
- Place 4 egg yolks in a large mixing bowl along with the golden caster sugar. Whisk until light yellow ribbons are formed and it has doubled in size.
- Place the milk, cream, lemon zest and the vanilla paste in a large saucepan and heat over a low heat until just before a simmering point is reached.
- Temper the hot milk into the sugar yolk mixture, by slowly adding hot milk about 60ml (1/4 cup) at a time, whisking to distribute heat. Once all the milk has been added, transfer mixture back into the saucepan.
- Pour in the rum and the bourbon, allowing it to thicken into a runny custard texture while stirring constantly.
- Once achieved, pour into a jar (preferably a mason jar) and set aside to cool and then place in the fridge for two weeks.
- Place your egg whites into an airtight container and place in the freezer.
- After two weeks, defrost the egg whites.
- Place the egg whites in a clean mixing bowl and whisk until you achieve soft peaks. While whisking slowly add the caster sugar until fully incorporated.
- Add the custard mixture to the egg whites and fold it through.
- Serve in glasses of your choice. Enjoy!
- You can use any alcohol you wish. I like the combination of rum and bourbon but you can use just one type of alcohol of the same amount if you so prefer.
- We also have a recipe on here for vegan eggnog which is great and means you don’t have to exclude your vegan friends and family.
- I used golden caster sugar but feel free to substitute with the sugar of your choice.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Eggnog recipe, eggnog non alcoholic, eggnog recipe rum, eggnog origin, traditional eggnog recipe