Boiled Custard is a traditional holiday drink that is enjoyed in the South every Christmas. Cheap and easy to prepare, this is a family favorite!
- 500ml (2 cups) double cream
- 500ml (2 cups) whole milk
- 10ml (2 tsp) vanilla paste or extract
- 125ml (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- 5 large egg yolks
- [optional] whipped cream
- Combine the cream, milk and vanilla in a saucepan. Bring to the boil then remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar and egg yolks, until the mixture has gone pale in colour and doubled in size.
- Temper hot milky mixture into the sugar yolk mixture, by slowly adding hot milky mixture about 60ml (1/4 cup) at a time, whisking to distribute heat. Once half of the milky mixture has been added, transfer mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining milky mixture.
- Place the saucepan over low heat. Stir continuously until mixture reaches nappé consistency, or 80°C (180°F) on a kitchen thermometer.
- Remove from heat and pour the custard into a large mixing bowl. Place the bowl into icy water and stir until the custard has cooled.
- Once it has cooled to a suitable temperature, it is ready to drink.
- For an added touch, top with whipped cream and grate nutmeg over the top. Enjoy!
- Nappé consistency is when you run your finger through the mixture on the back of a spoon and the mixture doesn’t run through the gap you created.
- If you want to experiment, you can play with all different kinds of flavours.
- Use different flavoured extracts, such as orange, coconut, lemon and lime.
- Spice-wise, you can add ground cinnamon, allspice, pumpkin spice, or whatever takes your fancy.
- For a more adult version, you might even want to add some alcohol. Cointreau will give you a lovely orange taste, Baileys or Amarula for a creamy liqueur flavour. Shots of whisky works marvellously. Pssst, try honey whisky from Jack Daniel’s.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: boiled custard, southern boiled custard, christmas drink, boiled custard drink, old fashioned boiled custard, boiled custard pudding